State Funding for LRAP (Part of the Higher Education Omnibus Bill)
LRAP has been included in both the House’s and Senate’s higher education omnibus bills. If you are represented by any of the following conferees, please contact them to reiterate your support for state funding for LRAP attorneys helping low-income clients throughout Minnesota. Click here to find your district. Click here for background about the bill.
House: Bud Nornes; Drew Christensen; Brian Daniels; Abigail Whelan; Ilhan Omar Senate: Michelle Fischbach; Rich Draheim; Paul Anderson; Scott Jensen; Greg Clausen
- Say you are a constituent living in the applicable community
- Refer to SF2214/HF2477
- Ask the Senator or Representative to support funding for LRAP Minnesota in the bill because…
- For each eligible client legal aid helps, two are turned away due to lack of funding.
- Law school debt of $150,000 or more and legal aid salaries starting at $45,000 or less prevent dedicated attorneys from working in public service.
- Current award levels are beneath goal ranges to accommodate more applicants, and LRAP was still unable to fund seven eligible applicants this year.
- Offer to answer any questions s/he has.
- Leave call back number.
- Let LRAP know how it goes at HeatherRV@mnbar.org
Adequate Minnesota Justice System Funding
Join the MSBA in advocating for adequate Minnesota Justice System funding, including funding for civil legal aid. Visit www.mnbar.org/JusticeSystemFunding to learn more.
2016 Year In Review
Click here to read about Rose and SaRoi, two LRAP recipients helping domestic violence survivors.