Help Save Public Service Loan Forgiveness for Future Legal Aid Lawyers
Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) has been vulnerable for years, including in the current administration’s budget. Although the future can never be guaranteed, LRAP does not expect current students or those already in repayment to be impacted by any removal or change to PSLF. Even so, we ask you to help LRAP with our efforts to preserve PSLF for future borrowers.
Please call or email your U.S. Representatives and Senators. Constituent messages about the importance of PSLF is the most powerful way to connect with Congress. Please answer some or all of the following questions, and add additional facts you see fit.
- How has PSLF enabled you help others and serve your community?
- What would be the financial consequences to you and your family if loan forgiveness was cut or eliminated? Could you continue to work in public service?
- Have you taken on a large amount of student debt with the intention of achieving PSLF?
- Are you depending on PSLF to help pay off your student debt after working in public service for 10 years?
- In what ways do you see a cut or elimination of PSLF effecting the availability of legal aid to low income Minnesotans?
- Any additional information you wish to include.
Attachment: If initially emailing or sending a follow-up email, attach LRAP’s PSLF Fact Sheet to provide additional information to your representative.
Find your elected officials:
State Funding for LRAP!
Thanks to your outreach to your representatives, state funding was given for LRAP attorneys at $25,000 in FY2018 and FY2019.
2016 Year In Review
Click here to read about Rose and SaRoi, two LRAP recipients helping domestic violence survivors.