LRAP and Xcel Energy Office of General Counsel Present- Crossroads in a New Country: Today’s Immigration Law and How it Intersects with Areas of Poverty Law Thursday, November 16th 3-5 pm at Faegre Baker Daniels. RSVP to HeatherRV@mnbar.org or click here for more details. Two standard CLE credits have been applied for.
Help Save Public Service Loan Forgiveness for Future Legal Aid Lawyers
Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) has been vulnerable for years, including in the current administration’s budget. Although the future can never be guaranteed, LRAP does not expect current students or those already in repayment to be impacted by an elimination or change to PSLF. Even so, we ask you to help LRAP with our efforts to preserve PSLF for future borrowers. Click here for a one-stop tool for calling your members, or see the resources below.
Please call your U.S. Representative and Senators. Congress is most interested in hearing from their constituents. Please indicate you are a constituent, answer some of the following questions, and add additional facts you see fit.
- How has PSLF enabled you help others and serve your community?
- What would be the financial consequences to you and your family if loan forgiveness was cut or eliminated? Could you continue to work in public service?
- Have you taken on a large amount of student debt with the intention of achieving PSLF?
- Are you depending on PSLF to help pay off your student debt after working in public service for 10 years?
- In what ways do you see a cut or elimination of PSLF effecting the availability of legal aid to low income Minnesotans?
- Any additional information you wish to include.
Attachment: Use LRAP’s PSLF Fact Sheet to provide additional information to your representative.
Follow-up with LRAP: Please let us know when you contact your representative, and what response you receive. Reach us at HeatherRV@mnbar.org or 612-278-6315.
Additional resource: Visit the Equal Justice Works Advocacy page here.
Find your elected officials:
MN District Office Phone Numbers
Senator Amy Klobuchar 612-727-5220 (Metro) / 507-288-5321 (South) / 218-287-2219 (Northwest & Central) / 218-741-9690 (Northeast)
Senator Al Franken 651-221-1016 (St. Paul) / 218-722-2390 (Duluth) / 218-284-8721 (Moorhead) / 507-288-2003 (Rochester)
Representative Tim Walz 507-388-2149 / 877-846-9259
Representative Jason Lewis 651-846-2120
Representative Erik Paulsen 952-405-8510
Representative Betty McCollum 651-224-9191
Representative Keith Ellison 612-522-1212
Representative Tom Emmer 763-241-6848
Representative Collin Peterson 218-847-5056 (Detroit Lakes) / 507-537-2299 (Marshall) / 320-235-1061 (Willmar, Montevideo) / 507-637-2270 (Redwood Falls)
Representative Rick Nolan 218-454-4078 (Brainerd) / 218-464-5095 (Duluth)