Help Save Public Service Loan Forgiveness for Future Legal Aid Lawyers
The US House has introduced a bill eliminating PSLF. It appears current law students and those already in repayment will be grandfathered in, but we need help from all LRAP stakeholders to preserve PSLF for future legal aid attorneys and clients! Click here for a one-stop tool for calling your members, or see the resources below.
Please call your U.S. Representative and Senators. Congress is most interested in hearing from their constituents. Please indicate you are a constituent, answer some of the following questions, and add additional facts you see fit.
- How has PSLF enabled you help others and serve your community?
- What would be the financial consequences to you and your family if loan forgiveness was eliminated? Could you continue to work in public service?
- Have you taken on a large amount of student debt with the intention of achieving PSLF?
- Are you depending on PSLF to help pay off your student debt after working in public service for 10 years?
- In what ways do you see an elimination of PSLF effecting the availability of legal aid to low income Minnesotans?
- Any additional information you wish to include.
Attachment: Use this fact sheet to provide additional information to your representative.
Follow-up with LRAP: Please let us know when you contact your representative, and what response you receive. Reach us at HeatherRV@mnbar.org or 612-278-6315.
Additional resource: Visit the Equal Justice Works Advocacy page here.
Find your elected officials:
MN District Office Phone Numbers
Senator Amy Klobuchar 612-727-5220 (Metro) / 507-288-5321 (South) / 218-287-2219 (Northwest & Central) / 218-741-9690 (Northeast)
Senator Tina Smith 202-224-5641
Representative Tim Walz 507-388-2149 / 877-846-9259
Representative Jason Lewis 651-846-2120
Representative Erik Paulsen 952-405-8510
Representative Betty McCollum 651-224-9191
Representative Keith Ellison 612-522-1212
Representative Tom Emmer 763-241-6848
Representative Collin Peterson 218-847-5056 (Detroit Lakes) / 507-537-2299 (Marshall) / 320-235-1061 (Willmar, Montevideo) / 507-637-2270 (Redwood Falls)
Representative Rick Nolan 218-454-4078 (Brainerd) / 218-464-5095 (Duluth)