Click here to read LRAP’s 2017 Year In Review
Highlights include new funding from the State of Minnesota, the addition of nine LRAP attorneys serving low-income clients throughout Minnesota, and the LRAP supporters who make it all happen.
Help Save Public Service Loan Forgiveness for Future Legal Aid Lawyers
US House and Senate Higher Education Reauthorization efforts leave PSLF extremely vulnerable to elimination or cuts. It appears current law students and those already in repayment will be grandfathered in, but we need help from all LRAP stakeholders to preserve PSLF for future legal aid attorneys and clients! Click here for a one-stop tool for contacting your members of Congress.
Urge Congress to retain Public Service Loan Forgiveness in its current form so dedicated public interest attorneys can afford to continue their important work serving low-income clients. And consider discussing these additional points:
- How has PSLF enabled you help others and serve your community?
- What would be the financial consequences to you and your family if loan forgiveness was eliminated? Could you continue to work in public service?
- Have you taken on a large amount of student debt with the intention of achieving PSLF?
- Are you depending on PSLF to help pay off your student debt after working in public service for 10 years?
- In what ways do you see an elimination of PSLF effecting the availability of legal aid to low-income Minnesotans?
Attachment: Use this fact sheet to provide additional information to your members.
Follow-up with LRAP: Please let us know when you contact your representative, and what response you receive. Reach us at HeatherRV@mnbar.org or 612-278-6315.
Additional resource: Visit the Coalition to Preserve Public Service page here.
Find your elected officials:
Phone Numbers for MN Members of Congress
Senator Amy Klobuchar (202) 224-3244
Senator Tina Smith (202) 224-5641
Representative Tim Walz (202) 225-2472
Representative Jason Lewis (202) 225-2271
Representative Erik Paulsen (202) 225-2871
Representative Betty McCollum (202) 225-6631
Representative Keith Ellison (202) 225-4755
Representative Tom Emmer (202) 225-2331
Representative Collin Peterson (202) 225-2165
Representative Rick Nolan (202) 225-6211